Job SearchRegister DetailsCandidate LoginRailPersonnelEmployer LoginCandidate SearchRailPersonnel
Candidate Advice
Country Information
The rail industry's Number 1
FREE online newsletter

Country Information - Canada

Please refer to our privacy and confidentiality policy prior to use.

  Australia | Canada | China | United Arab Emirates | Europe | Germany | Hong Kong | India | Indonesia | Korea | Saudi Arabia | Singapore | South Africa | Taiwan | Turkey | United Kingdom | United States
Visa Requirements  
  You must have a valid work permit to work in Canada. Generally, these steps are followed for application for a work permit:
  1. An employer must first offer you a job.
  2. Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) must normally provide a labour market opinion or "confirmation" of your job offer. However, some types of works are exempt from this process. For a list of these exemptions, go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp
  3. After HRSDC confirms that a foreign national may fill the job, you apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for your work permit.
  The Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) provides official immigration and citizenship information. For further details, please visit their website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/
Health Insurance  
  It is recommended that visitors to Canada obtain traveller's health insurance before leaving their country because health insurance plans often do not extend coverage for services received outside the country of residence.
Medical System  
  Upon arrival in Canada, you need to apply for a health insurance card and application forms can be obtained from the provincial ministry of health office, any doctor's office, a hospital or a pharmacy. All members of your family, even newborn babies must have their own card.
  To work in Canada, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) which will be used for identifying income tax and benefits. For further information, visit the SDC Web site at www.sdc.gc.ca
Social Security  
  Social Development Canada administers Canada's social security system and information is available from their website http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/home.shtml

Drivers' licences are issued by the provincial governments in Canada. For more information see the following links relevant to each provincial government.

Housing and Accommodation
  The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation provide information on rental and housing markets across Canada. You can visit their website at http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/
  The Canadian dollar is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $ or alternatively C$ to distinguish it from other dollar denominated currencies. It is divided into 100 cents.
  The official spoken languages in Canada are English and French as well as other languages
   Home | Privacy Policy | Confidentiality Policy
   Please note this site uses cookies for Google Analytics.
   © 2008-2018 RailPersonnel International Limited. All rights reserved.