Job SearchRegister DetailsCandidate LoginRailPersonnelEmployer LoginCandidate SearchRailPersonnel
Candidate Advice
Country Information
The rail industry's Number 1
FREE online newsletter

Country Information - U.S.

Please refer to our privacy and confidentiality policy prior to use.

  Australia | Canada | China | United Arab Emirates | Europe | Germany | Hong Kong | India | Indonesia | Korea | Saudi Arabia | Singapore | South Africa | Taiwan | Turkey | United Kingdom | United States
Visa Requirements  
  The United States has over sixty types of non-immigrant / non-permanent United States visas including B1, HIB, L1 and E1 and E2 visas and US Green Cards. For more information on guidelines and requirements for the various visas, please go to www.usimmigrationsupport.org or alternatively, use http://uscis.gov/graphics/

In particular, the H1B is a non-immigrant visa, which allows a US company to employ a foreign individual for up to six years. But please note that individuals cannot apply for an H1B visa. Employers must petition for entry of the employee and H1B visas are subject to annual numerical limits.
Establishing Credit  
  Establishing credit is important in the USA as regardless of whether you want or need a credit card, you need to establish credit in order to rent an apartment, buy a house or have utilities such as phone or electrical services. All providers will want proof you know how to pay your bills on time and a good place to start would be opening a bank account.

In order to open a Bank Account you will require your Social Security Card or Tax ID number, passport or other government issued ID along with official correspondence with your address on it. You will also need to deposit at least $100 to open an account.
  The US Monetary System is a decimal system where one dollar equals 100 cents. Paper currency comes in denominations of 1, 5, 19, 20, 50 and 100. Coin denominations are as follows:
Figure on Front
Value (Cents)
Value (Dollars)
Penny Lincoln 1 cent 0.01 dollars Copper
Nickel Jefferson 5 cents 0.05 dollars Silver
Dime Roosevelt 10 cents 0.10 dollars Silver
Quarter Washington 25 cents 0.25 dollars Silver
Half Dollar Kennedy 50 cents 0.50 dollars Silver
Dollar Anthony 100 cents 1.00 dollars Silver
  If you have very young children who are too young for school and both parents are away during the day, you will need to enroll them in a day care centre. In all public schools, education including textbooks and bus service is free. Boys and girls attend classes together, Monday through Friday, seven hours a day. To enroll your child in the school, you must bring a birth certificate and proof of immunization against certain diseases. It is also a good idea to bring your child's previous educational records (translated if necessary). You may enroll your child in the English as a Second Language program if he/she has shown a need on the English Enrolment Test. The city may also offer specialized programs for students with special interests, talents, or needs.
Weights And Measures  
  The US has a unique system for weights and measures and below are some tables outlining the difference and conversions rates:
1 inch = 2.54 centimeters (cm) 1 centimeter = 0.39 inches (in)
1 foot = 0.305 meters (m) 1 meter = 3.28 feet (ft)
1 foot = 12 inches 1 yard = 0.914 meters (m)
1 meter = 1.09 yards (yd) 1 meter = 1.09 yards (yd)
1 mile = 1.61 kilometers (km) 1 kilometer = 0.62 miles (mi)
1 mile = 5280 feet  
1 ounce = 28.35 grams (g) 1 gram = 0.035 ounces (oz)
1 pound = 0.4536 kilograms (kg) 1 kilogram = 2.2046 pounds (lb)
1 pound = 16 ounces  
1 gallon = 3.7854 liters (L) 1 liter = 0.2642 gallons (gal)
1 miles/gallon = 0.42514 km/liter 1 gallon = 4 quarts
1 quart = 2 pints 1 pint = 2 cups
1 cup = 8 fluid ounces 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
1 teaspoon = 5 ml  
Driving System  
  Traffic laws and driving habits in the US are different to other countries so it may be of benefit to take a driving class and get a local license. Some states insist on a local license and if they don't, then the insurance companies probably will. You will also need to turn in your national and international Driver's License when you receive a local one.
  Australia | Canada | China | Dubai | Europe | Hong Kong | India | Indonesia | Korea | Saudi Arabia | Singapore | South Africa | Taiwan | Turkey | United Kingdom | United States
   Home | Privacy Policy | Confidentiality Policy
   Please note this site uses cookies for Google Analytics.
   © 2008-2018 RailPersonnel International Limited. All rights reserved.