Engineering Safety Assurance Expert (Heavy Rail)
Engineering Safety Assurance Expert (Heavy Rail) ( #12652 )
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Our client is seeking an Engineering Safety Assurance Expert (Heavy Rail) to be responsible for establishing and leading the safety engineering and rail safety assurance function within the client's Projects organization, in accordance with industry standards, targets, established methods and best practice, and securing the timely acceptance of rail systems and products, throughout the project lifecycle, ensuring the requirements of the project team, regulators, customers, suppliers and other key stakeholders are met in an effective and efficient manner.
- Develop, manage, and lead the Rail Safety Assurance team and associated systems assurance processes throughout the company, working closely with the Business Units, project team members, suppliers and other key stakeholders to ensure corporate and industry safety & system objectives are met.
- Manage the development of robust and appropriate safety targets, and their apportionment to rail systems and sub-systems, supporting objectives and supporting rail systems assurance processes for the UAE railway network.
- Manage the production of project Engineering Safety Cases, and supporting safety submissions) liaising with the Operations Business Unit, Engineer, PMC, contractors, other stakeholders and regulators (e.g. FTA, DOT, RTA etc.), so as to ensure their production in a timely manner.
- Develop project Safety Assurance Plans, ensuring that rail safety assurance requirements and deliverables are enforced and comply with established industry procedures and standards, as well as the latest good practice systems applied in across other rail networks (e.g. Yellow Book).
- Establish robust network safety engineering requirements and specifications, ensuring the effective integration and balance of these objectives with system-wide operational, technical, RAM and commercial requirements, so as to ensure the safe, reliable and efficient performance of the railway network.
- Chair and manage the project SafetyAssurance Review Board (SARB) and participate in project Design Reviews, Testing & Commissioning Planning, other Project Forums, including making the arrangements for reviews and inspection for approval, as required, so as to ensure the necessary requirements for all systems assurance activities are addressed.
- Develop, apply and manage the project System Hazard Log (and related product hazard logs etc.) and conduct system-wide and product-level risk assessments and hazard analyses using established tools and methods (e.g. HAZOPS, HAZIDs, FEMAs etc.)
- Ensure close coordination with all regulatory agencies (e.g. FTA, DoT, RTA, Abu Dhabi Civil Defense etc.) during the development of the Safety Assurance Plans, so as to ensure the necessary Safety Certification, statutory approval and other requirements for the various activities related to the design, construction, testing and operation of the rail network, through the provision of robust safety engineering plans and associated submissions, is met and achieved in a timely manner.
- Manage the appointment and activities of the Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) so as to ensure compliance requirements with recognized industry standards, and ensure similar arrangements are in place through the supply-chain.
- Undertake supply-chain systems assurance audits of systems, sub-systems and product deliverables and observe Factory Acceptance Tests (FATS) as appropriate through the project lie-cycle.
- Support the development of annual Safety Plans and associated objectives, HSEMS standards and procedures, and Federal/GCC industry standards, liaising with the corporate HSE&Q team as required.
- Graduate Degree in Science, Engineering or related subject essential.
- Masters Degree preferred (e.g. Safety Engineering, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering).
- Certifications in Project Management / Rail Management desirable (e.g. Yellow Book).
- Certification through internationally established Safety Assurance programs.
- Chartered Member of IOSH (or equivalent) preferred.
- Chartered Mechanical or Electrical Engineer desirable.
- 15+ years experience working on large, multi-disciplinary heavy rail infrastructure rail projects and operational railways
- Proven experience as a rail safety engineer/systems assurance manager on at least three successfully completed rail projects.
- Proven experience in performing system wide activity hazard analysis and safety risk assessment of a railway network.
- Proven experience in safety incident handling, and reporting.
- Proven experience in safety training, and certification.
- Working knowledge of international rail industry safety & technical standards (e.g. AAR, AREA, UIC) and relevant reference standards (e.g. UK Railway Group Standards, EN 50126-8, DEF STAN IEC 65108), European Rail Agency policies and legislation, and the associated Railway Safety Directives, TSI and requirements for NOBOs etc.)
- Working knowledge and proven experience in dealing with the rail industry regulatory bodies (e.g. Office of Rail and Roads (UK), or the Federal Railroad Administration (US), or the French railway safety authority (EPSF).
- This position requires exemplary communication and organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional team environment to accomplish the assigned responsibilities.
To Apply for this job you need to be registered as a candidate with Rail Personnel.
Login ID/Password Login
Return to search results
*Logged in members may also add jobs to their job cart
> Australia and New Zealand
> Middle East
> North America
> UK and Europe
The rail industry's Number 1
FREE online newsletter
© 2008-2019 RailPersonnel International Limited. All rights reserved.