Principal Rail Safety Officer, Critical Risk
Principal Rail Safety Officer, Critical Risk ( #12631 )
Wellington, New Zealand
Our client is seeking a Principal Rail Safety Officer to deliver effective regulatory management through monitoring the compliance of rail licence holders and rail participants. Principal Rail Safety Officers lead the full range of regulatory functions to ensure the client is effective in delivering its rail regulatory responsibilities.
Location is Wellington, New Zealand (but can be in Auckland or Christchurch).
This role influences outcomes and provides expert advice and direct to the rail community and the client. It connects operational needs with organisational and government strategic outcomes and champions innovation, taking the lead on controversial issues when necessary.
The role will provide thought and practice leadership in one or more areas of specialist technical expertise.
In addition to the Senior/Principal Rail Safety Officer core responsibilities, the primary purpose of this role is to deliver specialist investigation and intervention in critical rail safety risk areas services on behalf of the client.
In addition to the primary purpose, this position will also support the achievement of the business and regulatory objectives of the Rail Safety Team.
Licensing and Assessments:
- Develop and implement a critical risk identification and monitoring framework that facilitates the reduction of critical risks within the rail industry.
- Investigate incidents and identified areas of interest for potential system wide implications and potential for emerging critical risk areas
- Carry out risk assessment of rail industry critical risks to inform range of treatment options available to reduce/manage critical risks
- Identify and apply a range of risk assessment methodologies to accurately assess the nature of rail industry critical risks and appropriate treatment options
- Engage with industry specialists and stakeholders to identify and manage risks and assist industry to develop action plans to reduce/manage critical risks
- Carry out regulatory interventions as necessary to address critical risks
- Provide advice on the development of operational policies and options to reduce risk
- Build on the evidential base for managing rail safety issues
- Deliver education and information activities to rail participants as and when required
- Report on the progress of risk management strategies implemented to treat critical risks
- Prepares and peer reviews risk assessments as required in accordance with organizational requirements
- Communicate complex critical risk matters in and straight forward, easy to understand way
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with industry participants and stakeholders to ensure the rail industry critical risk objectives of the Transport Agency are met.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with stakeholders
- Provide consistent, meaningful thought leadership to rail participants and stakeholders in line with the Agency's strategic direction.
- Lead and coordinate safety education and engagement activities in areas of expertise to the regulated sector as required
- Identify behaviours and lead the delivery of interventions that contribute to a safe rail network
Risk identification and management
- Identify and manage risk both at an operational and system level.
- Provide thought leadership and technical expertise to understand and treat risk
- Drive risk mitigation through deployment of appropriate compliance tools
- Monitor risk treatments against associated safety outcomes
Regulatory and Safety focus
- Model and leads behaviours consistent with the principles of good regulatory practice.
- Maintain oversight and provide expert advice across the implementation and operation of safety management systems by rail participants.
- Lead the development of operational initiatives that support regulatory functions and desired safety outcomes.
Analysis and decision making
- As the subject matter expert, be the final decision maker for robust regulatory decisions using experience, knowledge and relevant organisational decision making tools
- Use evidence to support your decision making approach
- Lead and contribute to the development of new methodologies and tools to improve delivery of rail regulatory functions
- Manage large-scale regulatory challenges and adapt regulatory strategies to enable innovative ways of working.
Individual Accountabilities: Change Support
- Participates and contributes to change initiatives by thinking, acting and advocating for an environment of continuous improvement
Health and Safety
- Follows the client's health and safety and wellbeing policies and processes
- Ensures own actions keep self and others safe
- Takes responsibility for personal development and continually develops own professional expertise
Knowledge and Experience
- 10+ Years applied experience and knowledge in a relevant industry
- Strong investigative, risk assurance or lead audit experience
- Significant regulatory compliance experience
- Strong analytical background in design, analysis or operation of safety systems or strong 'whole of system' risk management experience
- Extensive practical experience and knowledge in a relevant heavy industry
- Demonstrated success in bringing about industry change through effective risk management strategies
- Proven experience in risk management or assurance monitoring role
- Expert level experience and knowledge in a relevant industry
- Extensive experience in performance or outcome monitoring
- Proven success in the building and maintenance of effective relationships
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Tertiary qualification or relevant experience in a regulatory compliance role
To Apply for this job you need to be registered as a candidate with Rail Personnel.
Login ID/Password Login
Return to search results
*Logged in members may also add jobs to their job cart
> Australia and New Zealand
> Middle East
> North America
> UK and Europe
The rail industry's Number 1
FREE online newsletter
© 2008-2019 RailPersonnel International Limited. All rights reserved.