Senior Rail Safety Officer, Critical Risk
Senior Rail Safety Officer, Critical Risk ( #12632 )
Auckland, New Zealand
Our client is seeking a Senior Rail Safety Officer, Critical Risk to deliver effective regulatory management through the monitoring of compliance of rail licence holders and rail participants. Senior Rail Safety Officers are expected to carry out the full range of regulatory functions to ensure the client is effective in delivering its rail regulatory responsibilities.
Location is Auckland (but can be in Wellington or Christchurch).
The role requires you to build and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, in a continuous improvement environment, by providing advice and direction to rail participants and the client on rail transport safety matters.
In addition to the Senior/Principal Rail Safety Officer core responsibilities, the primary purpose of this role is to deliver specialist investigation and intervention in critical rail safety risk areas services on behalf of the client.
In addition to the primary purpose, this position will also support the achievement of the business and regulatory objectives of the Rail Safety Team.
Licensing and Assessments:
- Develop and implement a critical risk identification and monitoring framework that facilitates the reduction of critical risks within the rail industry.
- Investigate incidents and identified areas of interest for potential system wide implications and potential for emerging critical risk areas
- Carry out risk assessment of rail industry critical risks to inform range of treatment options available to reduce/manage critical risks
- Identify and apply a range of risk assessment methodologies to accurately assess the nature of rail industry critical risks and appropriate treatment options
- Engage with industry specialists and stakeholders to identify and manage risks and assist industry to develop action plans to reduce/manage critical risks
- Carry out regulatory interventions as necessary to address critical risks
- Provide advice on the development of operational policies and options to reduce risk
- Build on the evidential base for managing rail safety issues
- Deliver education and information activities to rail participants as and when required
- Report on the progress of risk management strategies implemented to treat critical risks
- Prepares and peer reviews risk assessments as required in accordance with organizational requirements
- Communicate complex critical risk matters in and straight forward, easy to understand way
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with industry participants and stakeholders to ensure the rail industry critical risk objectives of the Transport Agency are met.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with key and assigned stakeholders
- Provide consistent, meaningful information to rail participants and stakeholders in line with the Agency's strategic direction.
- Deliver safety education and engagement activities in areas of expertise to the regulated sector as required
- Promote the client's role and contribution to a safe rail network
Risk identification and management
- Identify risk both at an operational and system level.
- Access technical expertise when required to understand and treat risk
- Address identified risk through deployment of appropriate compliance tools
- Monitor risk treatments against associated safety outcomes
Regulatory and Safety focus
- Understand and demonstrate behaviors consistent with the principles of good regulatory practice.
- Evaluate the implementation and operation of safety management systems by rail participants.
- Participate in the development of operational initiatives that support regulatory functions and desired safety outcomes.
Analysis and decision making
- Make robust regulatory decisions using experience, knowledge and relevant organisational decision making tools
- Use evidence to support decision making approach
- Contribute to the development of new methodologies and tools to improve delivery of rail regulatory functions
- Manage large-scale regulatory challenges and adapt regulatory strategies to enable innovative ways of working.
Individual Accountabilities: Change Support
- Participates and contributes to change initiatives by thinking, acting and advocating for an environment of continuous improvement
- Acts consistently with the agreed Rail Safety Team values and behaviours
Team and Self-development
- Takes responsibility for personal development and continually develops own professional expertise
- Provides effective coaching and feedback to rail safety team members to enhance skill development across the team
Health and Safety
- Follows the client's health and safety and wellbeing policies and processes
- Takes responsibility for own health and safety
- Takes actions when necessary to keep self and others safe
Knowledge and Experience
- 5+ Years applied experience and knowledge in a relevant industry
- Strong investigative, risk assurance or lead audit experience
- Significant regulatory compliance experience
- Strong analytical background in design, analysis or operation of safety systems or strong 'whole of system' risk management experience
- Significant regulatory compliance experience
- Extensive practical experience and knowledge in a relevant heavy industry
- Demonstrated success in bringing about industry change through effective risk management strategies
- Proven experience in risk management or assurance monitoring role
- Proven experience in performance or outcome monitoring
- Proven success in the building and maintenance of effective relationships
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Tertiary qualification or relevant experience in a regulatory compliance role
To Apply for this job you need to be registered as a candidate with Rail Personnel.
Login ID/Password Login
Return to search results
*Logged in members may also add jobs to their job cart
> Australia and New Zealand
> Middle East
> North America
> UK and Europe
The rail industry's Number 1
FREE online newsletter
© 2008-2019 RailPersonnel International Limited. All rights reserved.